Tuesday, March 14, 2006

CMC Fund: The 1999 MP3.com Rolling Stone AD Fiasco Revisited

CMCFund PayPal E-mail Address


I was just asked by a good friend for some help ($$).

More on that later.

In late 1998 I was hanging out at the old MP3.com Message Board when they were indie before their IPO and before they soldout to Vivendi, chatting with some pretty brilliant artists who spanned the globe. At this time there were less than 1000 pioneering artists utilizing digital distribution through the 'net. More on them later.

I had an idea to place a full page ad in Rolling Stone for one of the artists that I couldn't understand wasn't signed to a large label. His name is The Crack Emcee (www.myspace.com/thecrackemcee).

I called the President/CEO of MP3.com at the time and convinced him that I could raise enough support from the less than 1000 pioneering artists that were using his site to promote their indie music to pay for 50% of the Rolling Stone bill.

He told me that he would pay the other half.

I got to work. In less than 1 week we had over $6,000.00 in support from the indie artists and were on our way to placing the ad.

At that point people started to question why The Crack Emcee deserved to be the only artist featured in the ad and over the next several days the entire 'project' fell apart. The President/CEO of MP3.com's ADD didn't help too much either - haha.

Anyway back to my friend's request.

I don't have the amount he needs so I thought I would reach out to every music community out there to see if we could put together a similiar project not to promote his music but to save him from losing his apartment, his instruments and his recording equipment because his wife left him while taking all of their savings in the process.

He's really in a tight spot and this is the time where all good inie artists should come to the aid of their fellow indie artists.

If you were there back in 1998 and feel the same regret of not seeing that Rolling Stone AD to the end, here is your chance to do something about it.

CMCFund PayPal E-mail Address

I'm sure he would appreciate if you can give whatever you can to this effort. If donating is out of the question, please contact me at the same e-mail address and let me know how you can help. Anything you can do will be appreciated.

Karma is a blast you all.

Sincerely,

Flo
52media.com

No comments: