Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Music Memories from the Past

Sometimes hearing a particular song will send you back to a particular moment in your life, right?

Here's one of mine:

When I was in 4th grade at a very particular Catholic school in St. Louis MO, we had a home work assignment which we had to either start -OR- end a finished sentence.

I.E.

_____________ at the playground.
Johnny went to the _______________..

One of the options was:

________________ in a car.

My answer...after listening to a ton of Beatles was:

HE BLEW HIS MIND OUT...in a car.?

My 4th grade teacher at that time called my parents after reading my answer, (remember this was at a Catholic school and she was obviously NOT a Beatles fan), and asked them to ask me why I answered this particular question in this particular way.

I told them it was because it was a line from a Beatles song that I was listening to at that time. My parents backed me up there and everything ultimately turned out fine.

I didn't know what the big deal was about at the time, didn't really know what the line meant other than it was from a Beatles song and that it sounded COOL.

The fact that my folks backed me up at that time (and didn't send me to counseling,)really made a great impression on me, even today, that I would remember this 33+ years later!

Does hearing a song today send you back to another time?

Let's hear your story...!


(the Beatles - Day in the Life)

1 comment:

52media said...

Originally posted by HeshimuBlu:
What parent would NOT question that? Really?

HishemuBlue,

The same kind of parents that in my 7th grade (at the same Catholic grade school) when called into the principal's office after my teacher 'caught' me with a copy of Black Sabbath's "Vol. 4" vinyl record and told her (sister Leone), that they condone me listening to the band the same way that they condoned me watching horror films at that time.

Sister Leone could not believe what she heard that day, she kindly excused herself and we left. No punishment -OR- counseling for me that day or ever!

The next week, the b!tch forced me to memorize an entire dictionary page for this 'so-called' infraction.

IMO my folks rule the way that they backed me up as they did growing up multiple times and they did not let the school push them around, though they tried and tried throughout the years.

Link: Black Sabbath "Snowblind"