Thursday, September 21, 2006

I saw an SUV flip over this morning.

At 9;45AM this morning I took a different route to the office up Interstate 71 North towards Cincy. As soon as I merged off of 264 East, all I saw was a white SUV flipping over in the Southbound lane as hundreds of sheds of Semi parts flew all over the place. The SUV came to a stop as I passed and I noticed the driver was awake, she didn't look hurt, yet looking dazed, obviously.

I immediately called 911 and several minutes later as I entered 265 West, I saw two police squad cars, lights blaring, heading towards the wreck. This was something I've never seen live before and I was shaking as I called my Belle to her the story.

Here's the report from Wave 3 News

SUV Hits Tractor-Trailer On I-71

Sep 21, 2006 12:54 PM

(LOUISVILLE) -- The cable barriers installed along Interstate 71 in eastern Jefferson County appear to be working. They're credited with stopping a median crossover crash Thursday morning.

It happened just north of the Watterson Expressway exchange in the southbound lanes of I-71. We're told a woman driving an SUV looked down for a moment, and came up quickly behind a tractor-trailer.

She swerved, but hit the semi before overturning, stopping at the barrier installation.

LMPD Officer Greg Kellerman says the barriers did their job. "Obviously, they saved the SUV from crossing over. Most of the impact was in the southbound lanes, but it did prevent her from going over into the opposing lanes."

The driver of the car suffered minor cuts on her arms and face. She was wearing a seat belt and police say it kept her from sustaining more serious injuries.

The driver of the tractor-trailer was not hurt.

No comments: